Danbury, CT Car Accident Lawyers
People who have been involved in car accidents often report feeling traumatized for weeks, months, and even years after the collision. With major highways like I-84 and U.S. Route 7 running through it, Danbury sees its share of collisions throughout the year. Victims suffer a wide range of losses in the aftermath of a crash, including injuries, extensive medical bills, lost wages, and mental trauma.
However, there is a way you can recoup your losses after a crash. With a personal injury attorney in Danbury, you can fight for the compensation you are owed. Call The Dodd Law Firm at 475-275-8649 to set up a consultation with our team right away.
Car Accidents in Connecticut
With the Connecticut Crash Data Repository, it’s easy to keep up with car accident trends and outcomes throughout the state. This data gives drivers like you the information they need to make safe and informed choices while getting behind the wheel. In the last three years, there have been nearly 350,000 crashes on Connecticut roads.
These collisions resulted in over 1,000 fatalities, over 40,000 minor injuries, and at least 4,600 serious injuries. It’s important to look at these statistics and realize they’re not just numbers—they represent the hundreds of thousands of lives changed forever by careless driving. I-84, which runs through Danbury, saw over 15,000 of those collisions.
In general, crashes have remained stable over the last three years. While there was a slight decrease during the height of the pandemic, accident numbers quickly returned back to normal as people began returning to work and school.
How Do Car Accidents Happen?
The accident database also contains a significant amount of information on what causes collisions throughout Connecticut. As you may suspect, human error is behind the vast majority of accidents. Some of the most common causes of crashes in Connecticut, starting with those that lead to the most collisions, include:
- Following too closely
- Drifting out of your own lane
- Failing to yield right-of-way
- Improper backing
- Improper turns
- Running off the roadway
- Improper passing
- Driving negligently or inattentively
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Swerving to avoid another obstacle
Obviously, issues like negligent and inattentive driving are broad terms. These terms encompass a wide range of unsafe behaviors, including driving while fatigued, driving while distracted, driving aggressively, and speeding.
Other issues can contribute to or cause collisions. For example, malfunctioning vehicle components can fail and lead to crashes. Unsafe road conditions, inclement weather, and heavy traffic can also cause crashes.
Injuries vary widely in accidents, depending on the type of crash you’re involved in, the speed of both vehicles, whether or not either party took evasive action, and what type of vehicle you were in. Commonly reported injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Soft tissue injuries, including sprains and strains
- Internal injuries
One of the most alarming things about car accident injuries is the fact that they can be undetectable immediately after a crash. The body releases a surge of adrenaline to get you through painful events, and that blocks your pain receptors. You may feel fine after a crash, but in reality, your body is under enormous pressure and strain. The pain may not hit for hours. The dangerous part of this is when you have internal bleeding or other severe injuries. These injuries are life-threatening when left untreated, and if you delay medical care because you feel fine, you may be too late by the time you seek treatment.
Taking Care of Yourself After a Danbury Crash
It’s crucial to protect your best interests after a collision. That means taking care of your physical health, your mental health, and your legal rights. Here are some tips for accident victims in Danbury:
- Report the crash: The Danbury Police Department responds to crashes within the city limits. Depending on the severity of the crash, you may call their non-emergency line or 911. If anyone in your vehicle is injured, it may be best to call 911 so they can send medical personnel to the scene.
- Gather evidence: This is your one and only opportunity to document the crash scene as thoroughly as you can. You should take as many videos and photos as you can, capturing the scene from various angles and distances. Include relevant context in your photos, including road signs, nearby buildings, road conditions, and weather conditions.
- Talk to the police: Tell your side of the story to the police, being careful to avoid taking the blame. The police report is an important source of information in an investigation, and you don’t want the other party to control the narrative.
- Get contact information: You and the other driver should exchange contact and insurance information before leaving the scene.
- Seek medical care: Check into local medical facilities, including AFC Urgent Care, DOCS Urgent Care, and Danbury Hospital. The sooner you can get checked out, the better—this gives you a chance to uncover hidden injuries and begin treatment as quickly as possible.
How The Dodd Law Firm Can Help You
Choosing the right law firm for your car accident claim can make a big difference in how stressful the process is and how much compensation you receive. Insurance companies are very good at paying out as little as possible for accidents; they spend a lot of money researching effective techniques to dissuade victims from seeking compensation, and they know how to toe the line legally.
That means you need an aggressive advocate committed to fighting for what you deserve. Our extensive experience in car accident claims puts us in a position to investigate your case, figure out how much it’s worth, and demand what you’re owed. Whether your case settles during negotiations or takes us into the courtroom, we’re ready to support you the entire way.
Contact Us Today to Begin Your Claim
If you’re ready to start your car accident claim in Danbury, let’s talk about your legal options and next steps. Schedule your free consultation at The Dodd Law Firm by filling out our form online or calling us at 475-275-8649.
schedule your free consultation
HABLAMOS ESPAÑOL / SI PARLA ITALIANO
Ten Corporate Center
1781 Highland Avenue, Suite 105
Cheshire, CT 06410
IN THE NEWS
Truck accidents are generally far more destructive than crashes solely involving smaller passenger vehicles. They are more likely to result in fatal or catastrophic injuries, and they are capable of causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage. However, that doesn’t mean that it will be easy for you to prove that you’re owed […]