Westport Personal Injury Law
If you’re tired of suffering alone after an injury has left you feeling hopeless, you should know that you have options. You may be entitled to compensation if your injury was caused by another person’s negligence, but getting the justice you seek can be a challenge. That’s why it’s important to team up with the team at The Dodd Law Firm. Our personal injury lawyers in Westport have seen how an accident can impact a person’s life, and we are committed to helping victims get the compensation they deserve.
No matter what type of personal injury you have suffered, it’s time to find out how we can help you. Call The Dodd Law Firm at 203-272-1883 to set up a consultation right away.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
In any situation where another person’s malice or negligence causes you physical harm or loss, you may have a personal injury claim. It all comes down to the details. At The Dodd Law Firm, we handle these and other personal injury claims:
- Automobile accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability, including slip and fall injuries
- Dog bites
- Defective products
Not sure if your claim fits into one of the categories listed here? We’re here to talk. Reach out to our team to discuss your claim and find out if you have a legitimate claim.
Personal Injury Claim Process
When you choose The Dodd Law Firm for your personal injury claim, we’ll start working on your case immediately. Our process includes:
- Investigating the claim: A thorough investigation is necessary for any personal injury claim. We will take a look at the evidence you have gathered and use our resources to uncover even more valuable evidence. From there, we will figure out exactly what caused your accident and who is liable for your injuries and losses.
- Building a case: A key part of holding insurance companies accountable is building a solid case. We need to prove that their client was negligent and that their negligence led directly to your injuries and measurable damages. At this step, we begin to piece together all of the evidence to advocate for you.
- Negotiating with the insurance provider: Once we are confident with our case, we issue a demand letter to the insurance company. This is when we tell them how much compensation we’re asking for and explain why they’re entitled to it. The demand letter isn’t where it ends; it’s simply the jumping-off point for negotiations with the insurance company. It usually takes multiple rounds of negotiations to reach a compromise both parties are happy with.
- Filing a lawsuit: If the insurance company refuses to offer what you truly deserve, it’s time to take your case to court. Note that very few personal injury claims actually reach this stage.
- Preparing for court: Much of the legwork for court is already done, thanks to our negotiation preparations. However, we will also use different tools of discovery to further our investigation and strengthen your claim as much as possible.
- Consulting with experts: Outside expert help is sometimes necessary. We may talk to accident reconstruction experts, economic specialists, and medical professionals to shape your case further.
- Fighting for a settlement or court award: Whether your case settles out of court or ends up in front of a judge, our goal is to get you the compensation you deserve.
Compensation in Injury Claims
Victims often receive compensation for a wide range of reasons. Compensation is generally broken down into economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Rehabilitative care
Victims may also receive compensation for non-economic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Future lost earnings and future medical expenses
Economic damages are those that are easy to calculate and have an obvious financial value. Non-economic damages reflect those losses that, while important, do not have an obvious financial value assigned to them.
In some cases, you may receive punitive damages if your case goes to court. While the other types of damages listed above are meant to make the victim whole, punitive damages serve the purpose of punishing the wrongdoer. Although the money collected still goes to the victim, the goal of punitive damages is to discourage the same type of behavior by the wrongdoer and others in the future. These damages are only awarded when the person’s actions are so grossly negligent or intentional that the court must take action against them.
How The Dodd Law Firm Can Help You
As you sit and consider your options after a personal injury, please know that we understand your pain. We know how quickly a regular day can turn tragic after a car accident, dog bite, or serious fall. What you’ve gone through should entitle you to a quick and easy settlement, but victims have to fight for what they deserve all too often.
Insurance companies are focused on saving as much money as possible and denying victims compensation is one of the easiest ways to do that. Insurance adjusters are often intentionally nice to victims to try to get them to admit something that the adjuster can use against them, such as a past injury.
You deserve better after what you have endured. Let us fight for you as you focus on your physical and mental recovery. By building the strongest case possible, we will fight for every dollar you are owed. Don’t take the insurance company on by yourself and risk your compensation; not when you have help available.
Get Started Today and Contact the Dodd Law Firm
No matter what type of injury you’ve suffered, you deserve a strong and aggressive advocate who’s willing to fight for you. Let’s make a plan for your injury claim and the next steps. To set up a free consultation with the team of Westport personal injury lawyers at The Dodd Law Firm, call us at 203-272-1883 or fill out our online contact form.
schedule your free consultation
HABLAMOS ESPAÑOL / SI PARLA ITALIANO
Ten Corporate Center
1781 Highland Avenue, Suite 105
Cheshire, CT 06410
IN THE NEWS
Truck accidents are generally far more destructive than crashes solely involving smaller passenger vehicles. They are more likely to result in fatal or catastrophic injuries, and they are capable of causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage. However, that doesn’t mean that it will be easy for you to prove that you’re owed […]