Personal Injury Law in New Brittain, CT
Mistakes are part of life. But when someone else’s mistake causes you to become injured, what’s your next step? You don’t have to handle the burden alone, especially if your injury leaves you with medical bills, lost income, and property damage.
However, be prepared to fight for the compensation you deserve after an accident. Insurance companies fight hard to keep victims from getting the money they are owed, even when it’s obvious that their own client is at fault. What do you need to fight against an insurance company bent on maximizing profits?
An aggressive and committed New Britain personal injury. At The Dodd Law Firm, our sole focus is getting our clients the compensation they are owed after an injury. Find out how we can help you by calling us at 203-272-1883 now.
The Cases We Handle
Our team has an impressive track record of wins and successes for our clients, giving us the experience needed to take on your case. Some of the personal injury cases we take include:
- Auto accidents in New Britain
- Truck collisions in New Britain
- New Britain motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents in Connecticut
- Other premises liability claims in New Britain
- New Britain, CT dog bites
- Defective products in New Britain
Each type of new injury case must be approached from a slightly different angle since evidence types and injuries vary significantly between accident types. Thanks to our team’s ever-growing body of personal injury experience, we know what evidence to look for, how to use the evidence you give us, and what it takes to prove our case to the insurance company. If your case goes to court, we are prepared to show the jury exactly how you were wronged and why you should be compensated.
What to Do After an Injury
A lot of the evidence created in an accident is time-sensitive. If you don’t gather or document it immediately after your injury, you’ll likely lose your chance completely. By following these simple steps after an accident, you give yourself a fair shot at pursuing a personal injury claim.
- Report the accident to the appropriate authorities. In many cases, this means talking to the New Britain Police Department. Their Animal Control Unit will be your go-to call for a dog bite. If you are hurt on someone else’s property, you will need to let the homeowner, business owner, or facility manager know about your injury and possibly file a report.
- Quickly assess the scene and gather evidence. Look at the evidence you have of what happened and determine what you need to save. This may mean taking photos of the accident scene, getting video footage of the scene as a whole, jotting down notes about the conditions where you are, and talking to people who saw what happened.
- Ensure that your experience is documented. When you report your accident, make sure that what happened to you is written down in the official documentation. Don’t let someone else commandeer the report and block you out—your story needs to be included if you want fair compensation.
- Talk to witnesses. Witnesses often stop by to provide help, but you will have a hard time tracking them down if you don’t talk to them right away. Get their contact information so you can pass it on to their attorney.
- Exchange information. Exchange contact and insurance information with the involved party. If you are hurt at someone’s home or business, you will get information for their homeowner’s or general liability insurance. If you are injured in a car crash, you will need to get the other driver’s car insurance information. After a dog bite, make sure you get the dog’s vaccine records and vet information so you can verify their rabies vaccination.
- Get checked out by a medical professional. Facilities in this area include the Hospital of Central Connecticut, American Family Care Urgent Care, and Concentra Urgent Care. Keep copies of all of the records you receive.
- Talk to a New Britain personal injury lawyer. Don’t wait to reach out to a New Britain personal injury attorney. The more time they have to analyze the evidence and investigate your injuries, the easier it is to fight for the compensation you need.
Connecticut Personal Injury Laws
The statute of limitations in Connecticut is generally two years, but there are some personal injury claims with slightly longer or shorter filing windows. For example, a claim involving a defective product may be filed within three years of the date of injury and a claim against the government for a highway defect must be put into writing within 90 days. Since the statute of limitations varies so much between different claim types, make it a priority to talk to an attorney as soon as possible.
Connecticut is a comparative negligence state. What does this mean for your claim? Even if you are partially at fault, you can likely still recover some compensation as long as you are 50% or less at fault. Your court award would simply be reduced proportionately to your share of liability.
Getting the Compensation That You Deserve
A successful personal injury claim may allow you to recover several types of compensation, including:
- Medical expenses and bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses and lost earning opportunities if you suffer a serious injury
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Actually, getting the compensation you’re owed can be a challenge. That’s why it’s important to connect with the team at The Dodd Law Firm after your accident.
How The Dodd Law Firm Can Help
At The Dodd Law Firm, we understand the importance of fair and full compensation after an accident. As you struggle to recover, you’re likely worried about getting back to work, how quickly you can heal, and how you will support your family in the meantime. At the same time, you’re worried about making it until next month, the insurance company is working hard to find ways to deny your claim so you receive nothing.
Over the course of our time in personal injury law, we have gone up against a varsity of small and large insurance companies. We know what tricks they’ve got up their sleeve and what it takes to fight back. We won’t be dissuaded—we know that your injuries and losses are more important than their company’s profit margins. Throughout the entire process, you’ll know that you have a fierce advocate on your side.
Contact Us to Get Started
Let’s set up a time to talk more about your injuries and how we can pursue the compensation you’re owed. Give The Dodd Law Firm a call at 203-272-1883 or send us a quick message online.